[osg-users] OSG WIN32 debug build using VC++ 2008 - plugin load failure due to missing manifest

Christian Buchner christian.buchner at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 12:18:14 PST 2009

Hi everyone,

I've been building OpenScenegraph 2.8.0 in both the debug and release
versions on Windows using VC++ 2008 SP1.

I am doing application development - and therefore I am often using a
debug build of my application. This debug build also links against the
debug build of OpenSceneGraph.

When plugins are used, e.g. a plugin to load compressed TIFF files,
however these plugins fail to load in debug mode - and thus the
textures cannot be loaded. It appears that in debug mode no manifest
file is embedded in the generated plugin DLLs. So these fails to load
the Visual C++ 2008 debug runtime DLLs because they are installed as
Side by Side assemblies in the Assembly Cache. When I copy these DLLs
manually into the system's search PATH, I get a dialog box stating
that the runtime has been loaded in an improper way and the
application bails out.

If anyone familiar with Win32 and CMAKE builds could look into this
problem, I would be grateful. Thanks

Christian