[osg-users] RTT buffer VS FBO VS FB

Jason Daly jdaly at ist.ucf.edu
Thu Aug 13 13:56:47 PDT 2009

Rabbi Robinson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For render-to-texture, there are several implementation. At least I know RTT buffer, Frame buffer and Frame buffer object. Can someone explain the difference to me and which one is more portable across different hardware?

Not sure what you mean by "RTT buffer", and "Frame buffer".  FBO
(framebuffer objects) is pretty much the way to do render to texture
anymore, though.  It should work on any Nvidia or Ati hardware made in
the last five years, and probably Intel hardware, too.

The fallback option would be to render to either a pbuffer or the
regular framebuffer and then copy to a texture.  In Windows, you have
the third option of rendering straight to a texture from a pbuffer or
the framebuffer.  The osgprerender shows you how to do any of these, and
most of the work is done for you inside osg::Camera.

--"J"