[osg-users] Using SSE within OSG

Mathias Fröhlich M.Froehlich at science-computing.de
Tue Jul 29 07:31:53 PDT 2008

Hi,

On Tuesday 29 July 2008 15:18, James Killian wrote:
> I 100% agree with that as that is the first thing I did.  For the matrixf
> mult I got 50% improvement with aligned data and 35% with unaligned.  For
> the Invert4x4 I got 80% improvement with aligned and 70% aligned with
> unaligned.  I've submitted this code in as it was the most time spent in
> the profiles of our game.
I wonder what your scenegraph looks like.
Why do you have that much matrix operations?
Where are they called from?
Why do you need that many inverted matrices?

Also the invert method makes me wonder. As far as I can tell, you do not need
inverted matrices to do cull and draw. At least not in a magnitude that makes
that method appear in profiles.

Do you compute intersection tests where you need that inverse?
And what kind of matrices are in your code that you really need the full 4x4
inverse? Almost alway the cheaper 3x4 variant can be used for usual
transforms.

Well, I ask that because I get the impression that the real botteneck - where
you can gain much performance - is somwhere different.

Greetings

Mathias

--
Dr. Mathias Fröhlich, science + computing ag, Software Solutions
Hagellocher Weg 71-75, D-72070 Tuebingen, Germany