[osg-users] Using SSE within OSG

David Spilling david.spilling at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 06:23:29 PDT 2008

Benjamin,

> And please do not get me wrong. I do not want to stop your efforts to
> improve
> the performance of OSG; far from it!

Not necessarily my efforts - I'm just being the messenger...!

But putting assembler code into the
> project decrease the readability and serviceability of the code.

Absolutely.

> Furthermore
> it might be that it does not improve the speed at all.

I agree, and this is an oft quoted issue. Here, I think, only testing (and
experience) will help. For example, is it worth performing a single Vec3f
cross product in SSE? Probably not. But as a counter example, over on
osg-submissions (EDIT - and now here), one user (James) is getting large
performance gains from having SSE'd the invert_4x4 function.

I just want to suggest
> that you try to exhaust the possibility of modern compilers as much as
> possible. If you see any bottlenecks after that, it might make sense to
> include manual performance tuning.

I agree. This call-for-ideas was motivated by an understanding that several
people are pushing in the same direction, and it would be perhaps beneficial
to make use of this push.

David