[osg-users] [osg-submissions] Matrixf multiply Optimization

David Spilling david.spilling at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 01:39:52 PDT 2008

I think that this general question (of SSE integration) ought to be pushed
out onto the osg-users mailing list. For example, I can't see any reason why
all Vec4f and Matrix4f can't always be aligned anyway, although I realise
that my range of apps might be limited. Even Vec4d and Matrix 4d might
benefit from SSE2, for example.

>From my experience, SSE doesn't hurt performance. I agree with Robert that
the most benefit comes from array operations; using SSE to perform a single
vector x-product (i.e. "horizontal" operations) doesn't help _that_ much,
but it does help a bit. My main issue with going in the direction of array
operations is that I don't think we could offer sufficient operators to be
useful in the general case - people do all kinds of maths things specific to
their problem - but SSEing the simple operations where the maths is obvious,
e.g. James' attack on the Vec/Matrix libraries does seem to be appropriate.
Supporting the general SSE case with aligned vectors and things would be
good (e.g. the osgsharedarray example class is very useful to provide
aligned wrappers).

David