[osg-users] osg::Image::update?

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 01:10:59 PDT 2008

Hi Hartmut,

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 2:02 AM, Hartmut Seichter
<lists at technotecture.com> wrote:
> Well, osgART has a number of PlugIns implementing their own
> osgART::VideoImageStream which implements update slightly
> different. But I am happy to quickly change things over as we are targeting
> the latest OSG

For 2.6 all original ImageStream implementation - the ones in the
Quicktime and Xine plugins are all exactly the same as before, and
function in exactly the same way.  osgArt::VideoImageStream should be
no different - all existing mechanisms will work.

The new Image::update(..) method is only called if you attach an
update callback to the texture, this is something that is now done
automatically for osg::ImageSequence images being assigned to
textures, but not for any other Image types.  You could add this is
you so wished.

> Are there any plans to differentiate between open() and play() ... this was
> the main reason for us  to have osgART::VideoImageStream as we need to know
> in osgART which dimensions and colorspace the imagestream supports

I haven't made any other plans for ImageStream.  ImageSequence is just
a subclass of it at present.  The osgDB::ImagePager is a companion to
it, which could expand in its role - for instance it could potentially
drive the various ImageStream classes, so rather than have their own
threads, they'd use the ImagePager's ImageThreads to drive them.  This
would help when handling many video streams at one time, and also
improve the handling of thread cancellation on exit.