[osg-users] vpb on cluster example

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 06:54:54 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 1:47 PM, J.P. Delport <jpdelport at csir.co.za> wrote:
> I must say that the new vpb with --terrain is a _lot_ faster than the old
> osgdem used to be. One can now generate quite a bit of data over a weekend
> :)

--terrain switches the build to output osgTerrain::TerrainTile, that
are base of height fields so the GDAL to OSG data structure is as
staightforward a mapping as it is for imagery, this is far faster than
tessellating a heigh field and then simplifying.

osgTerrain database also can be simplified at runtime vai the
osgTerrain::Terrain::setSampleRation(float).  See the
osgmultitexturecontrol example for this in action.  This enables you
to balance the geometry load with the capabilities of the hardware.

osgTerrain is not finished yet, so further improvements will be on the
fly boundary equalization and compressing the heightfields so the
tiles on disk will be smaller.