[osg-users] PrecipitationEffect not updating - problem solved

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 00:54:00 PDT 2008

HI Murray,

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 3:40 AM, Murray Curtis <murray at dragtag.com.au> wrote:
> Found it. I had failed to add my view to the composite viewer so even though
> an update callback reported valid framestamps from the visitor, the
> precipitation node was not being updated (or updated incorrectly).

Good to hear you've sorted out the problem.

> I have several of osgViewer::View each with differing viewports all sharing
> a common osg::GraphicsContext. Only one of the views needs to be added to my
> osgViewer::CompositeViewer to make all of them visible. Thats what caught me
> out. Is that expected behaviour?

The rendering itself is done via the GraphicsContext, and when you
assign the GraphicContext to the Camera's the GraphicsContext will
keep a pointer to the Camera and use this when rendering a frame to
the call the Camera's Renderer on each new frame.   This facilities
means you can add HUD's etc (the StatsHandler is done this way), but
it does mean that such Camera's will just be rendered, updating is the
responsibility of the viewer/app.