[osg-users] Plugin Problem, osgDB doesn't find plugins

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Fri Jul 18 08:37:31 PDT 2008

Hello Ariasgore,

> I am using VS2008 and OSG 2.5.2, compiled from source (included plugins)

Did you also compile the 3rdParty dependencies from source? There is
currently no package of precompiled dependencies for VS2008, and it
could be that using the precompiled 3rdParty dependencies for VS2005
with OSG compiled with VS2008 would cause this.

> I copied the whole osgPlugins-2.5.2  folder content to my bin output
> folder directly into it and into a subfolder for testing. No effect.

The plugins should be in a subfolder called osgPlugins-<version> under
the directory where the OSG DLLs are found for your app. So if for
example you are copying the OSG DLLs with your app, copy the
osgPlugins-<version> folder along with it (don't change the directory
structure).

> So I basically have the osgdb_jpegd.dll and have no idea if I am missing
> something.

For another plugin like png for example, the plugin also needs the
libpng DLLs to be found, which is often the problem when loading the png
plugin fails. But for jpeg, that is not needed since the jpeg library is
linked statically into the plugin.

So I suspect your problem is related to using VS2008 with 3rdParty
dependencies compiled with VS2005. Note - I saw some reports that in
release mode, it worked OK, but in debug it didn't. Regardless, it's
much better to compile the dependencies properly to be sure you don't
have problems with this in the future (plus, debugging is important!).

Good luck,

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
                                http://www.cm-labs.com/