[osg-users] Further Design Question: KDTree

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 08:17:42 PDT 2008

Hi Adrian,

If the alternate KdTree algorithms can be easily managed as an enum
for build and intersections then this would be a relatively easy way
to go, but... it's more intrusive w.r.t the core KdTree
implementation, which means there needs to be more interaction with
myself to get things tested and merged.

The extensible approach I've taken with osg::KdTree is meant to help
alternate implementations are easy to develop separately from the core
OSG, and then later merged if appropriate/once the implementation
settles down.

I'd suggest one takes advantage of the extensibility when developing
new KdTree build/intersection algorithms, then when an implementation
looks like its well worth merging with the core we can add an enum
into core KdTree implementation.

With a stable release imminent it's important that I focus on this,
rather than get drawn in protected discussions about a single
particular topic - the KdTree extensibility offers the opportunity for
these alternate versions to be developed without dragging me into all
the details.

Robert.