[osg-users] Using image maps with materials

Ulrich Hertlein u.hertlein at sandbox.de
Mon Jul 14 21:13:05 PDT 2008

Hello Rick,

rpingry at gmail.com wrote:
> Is there a way to use image maps with some of the other material
> properties, like emission or specular or diffuse?  I am working on
 > how to use a reflection map, so I think I am ok there.  Any way to use a
 > map to define the emission, specularity, and diffuse amounts across a
 > surface?

There's no easy way to specify the material component that a texture should
affect (such as emissive, specular) in plain OpenGL.

The way to go these days is a fragment shader.  You could also use a multi-pass
technique to apply another texture.

(Maybe register combiners offer something useful but I'm not sure about that.)

Cheers,
/ulrich