[osg-users] osgWidget Remaining Issues

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Mon Jul 14 17:20:57 PDT 2008

Hi Jeremy,

Some responses below, but you'll notice that my general opinion is
biased in the "get it out soon, and perfect it gradually" camp.
Especially if you're hitting roadblocks yourself, getting the code out
there and into other people's hands will make things progress faster.
And I don't think anyone will hold you personally responsible for any
shortcomings, since it *is* a first official version... :-)

> 1. [ Font Clarity ]

> 	# osgfont fonts/arial.ttf 10 11 12 13 14 15
>
> You'll notice that at some sizes and locations, the text appears crisp
> and sharp. You'll also notice that at other places the text is blurry
> and smudged.

All I see is some very minor softness, mostly at the odd sizes (11, 13,
15). 10, 12 and 14 look great, but 11, 13 and 15 still look very good
(and nowhere near illegible). So I really don't think it's a major problem.

> 2. [ Low-level Font API ]

I can't help much here for now, but I think it's something that can be
added afterwards. The existing functionality is good enough and of high
enough quality that I really don't think anyone doubts that input will
come soon. Plus, the community can help. If what is needed are some
changes to osgText, it will be much easier to make the necessary changes
if osgWidget and osgText coexist in the OSG core.

> 3. [ 3D Widgets ]

Again, I think this is something that can be worked on gradually.
osgWidget can first be advertized as mostly for HUDs, and if someone
wants to try doing totally 3D GUIs, they're free to do it and make any
necessary improvements along the way.

 > Given the popularity of WOW, I'm assuming
> that 2D interface "solutions" for games aren't something that there is a
> a superbly solid solution for, so I'm not that discouraged at some of my
> own idiosyncrasies in osgWidget.

You're definitely right about that. From what I've seen in osgWidget,
it's much more general and flexible than the game engine HUD/GUI
frameworks I've seen.

> I'm getting
> some really great results, but introducing this into osgWidget would
> mean introducing the Pango dependency chain (Pango, Cairo, and glib). Is
> this an option worth exploring?

I can't speak for others, but I would advocate seeing if the current
solutions work well for most uses and if the remaining issues can be
worked out before trying to go a completely different route.

Again, I'd like to reiterate my support for your work. If you need
testing (especially on Windows) and/or have questions, don't hesitate to
ask. Also, we're likely to be one of your first clients (we wanted to do
a HUD framework but instead chose to wait for osgWidget to be integrated
into the OSG core) so you can expect to get more feedback from us once
we start using it for real :-)

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
                                http://www.cm-labs.com/