[osg-users] Cygwin compiled version from Svn will only load and convert osg files and not gif files - any thoughts?

Brian Keener brianklistacct at alltel.net
Mon Jul 14 14:39:38 PDT 2008

Jean-Sébastien Guay wrote:
> > Thanks and sorry for the confusion and I hope this helps explain my thought
> > process.
>
> Yes, I understand your thought process much better now, but I still
> think that using an invalid option (i.e. --image with an .osg file) gets
> you nowhere. It will just exit with an error at the earliest possible
> time, so it does not test any significant code paths.

Once I found out osgviewer doesn't like --image with an  osg file I quit the
option.  This get me close to apples to apples but not completely.  So
displaying .jpg, .gif or whatever I use the --image for testing and displaying
the .osg for testing I do not use the --image.  This works and as helped me move
ahead some.

> Instead, why not create an .osg file with a simple quad and a texture,
> and then try to load that. That will reproduce what 'osgviewer --image'
> does, but by loading an .osg file (without --image). You could create
> such an .osg file by modifying osgviewer.cpp so that it calls
> osgDB::writeNodeFile(...) right before calling viewer.run(), and then
> running the resulting executable with '--image someImage.jpg'.

Hmm, I'll study that.

> Another test could be to try a very simple OSG file (axes.osg from
> OpenSceneGraph-Data, for example, has no texture and very simple geometry).

Whoa - Whoo hoo - I had tried dumptruck.osg but axes.osg was a real good
suggestion.  If I run osgviewer in gdb with cow or dumptruck I get the hang but
if I run it with axes.osg - it terminates cleanly.  Something in the way Cygwin
is handling cleanup or closing is hanging the process or as Robert theorized
once - maybe something (in Cygwin) is mucking up the handles.  More info though
so that's another step.

> Also, I don't understand why I'm the only one to respond to you in this
> thread. I have never compiled OSG in cygwin, nor do I use cygwin if I
> have the choice. Surely someone else on this list has more experience
> than me in this environment and could help you better?

You are not the lone ranger - Robert has offered suggestions and Alberto is one
the few others I know that have tried working on this platform and he has worked
on this problem some as well. And there have been other that have tried to point
me down the right paths.

> Anyways, I hope I'm at least helping you go forward a bit...

You are helping and I appreciate it.

bk