[osg-users] StartingOpenSceneGraphinVisualStudio

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Mon Jul 14 06:11:31 PDT 2008

Hello Victor,

> Thanks for the help so far. I have the following BUILDs set to off when I
> run the CMake tool ( I am running OpenSceneGraph-2.4.0 and
> cmake-2.4.8-win32-x86.exe).
>
> BUILD_OSG_EXAMPLES
> BUILD_REF_DOCS

For a new user, I highly recommend you set BUILD_OSG_EXAMPLES to on.
Also, there's BUILD_OSG_WRAPPERS, is this on or off? You probably don't
need the wrappers, and they'll take a long time to build, so disable
them unless you really know you need them.

> Several paths could not be found.
> I tried putting some of the libraries and include files in the
> OpenSceneGraph directory hoping CMake will pick them up but it couldn't.

This is not the way to do it.

First of all, many of the libs listed are optional dependencies
(COLLADA, QuickTime, OpenVRML, Jasper, SDL, FLTK, FOX, Inventor, GDAL,
Performer, QT, Xine, Wx). You can start without them and just build
those plugins if/when you find out you need them.

The others are pretty much needed to do anything useful. For those you
need to get the 3rdParty dependencies (if you're using Visual Studio
2005 then you can just use the precompiled dependencies at
http://mew.cx/osg/, otherwise you'll have to download the sources and
compile them yourself). Put the dependencies in a directory called
"3rdParty" parallel to your OSG sources directory. For example:

.../OpenSceneGraph
.../OpenSceneGraph/include
.../OpenSceneGraph/src
.../3rdParty
.../3rdParty/bin
.../3rdParty/lib

This will ensure that CMake finds them. (and please start with a fresh
OSG source directory)

Hope this helps,

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com