[osg-users] KdTree support now checked in

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 08:46:55 PDT 2008

Hi Adrian,

It's great to hear you getting better performance.  How much is down
to more efficient intersections vs other changes to the OSG I cannot
say - you'd need to profile the relative costs of intersections/cull
and draw traversals etc.

KdTree are only used in intersections, so it doesn't change the cull
and draw traversals at all.  It's not something that is likely to help
much anyway, as the OpenGL pipeline is geared up to handling a
moderate number of relatively large sets of geometry, and rarely is
the actual geometry a bottleneck so it doesn't pay to just a do fine
grained view frustum culling.  Intersections a completely different
matter - ray intersection strongly favour fine grained
representations, hence why KdTree work so well.

Robert.