[osg-users] KdTree support now checked in

Adrian Egli OpenSceneGraph (3D) 3dhelp at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 08:41:06 PDT 2008

Hi Robert,

i tested the whole afternoon with a really big terrain database (city of
cannes). i rebuild our internet based visualisation plugin with latest
openscenegraph (SVN of this morning) and the performance with
the kdTree datastructure enabled is much better than with elder OSG version.
i don't yet understand why the performance is much faster, of course the new
database pager concept could be responsable for the behaviour but i don't
think so. now the frame rate is really constant, no longer view dependent
for our motion model, also for the terrain manipulator. each of this motion
model are using intersection visitor, may this was the reason why the frame
rate was never constant, was view angle dependant. one pixel changed and the
frame could dorp down or vise versa. but know the frame rate is nearly
constant, for this huge database. of course still view dependant, but little
change doesn't no longer change the frame rate (60/20) between small
changes, this isn't question of culling,... i guess this was the
intersection test, if we passed through a huge object, the fps drops down.
this is greate.

next question. do you use the KDTree to cull objects against the frustum.
big objects (Triangles could better culled) if we can intersect easely a
plane against the kdtree.

/adrian