[osg-users] KdTree support now checked in

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 03:59:37 PDT 2008

Hi J-S,

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 1:09 AM, Jean-Sébastien Guay
<jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com> wrote:
> I think I may be able to help a bit regarding the higher-level setup and
> bookkeeping changes needed to speed things up on that regard. One thing I
> noticed before is that creating a new Intersector and IntersectionVisitor
> each time is costly, and instead keeping static or cached instances and
> using the reset() and setStart()/setEnd() methods is faster. There may be
> some other similar things that can be done too, we'll see what I can dig up.

It's interesting how different bottlenecks pop up, in this case
creating objects on the heap is clearly showing itself as a bottleneck
whereas the old brute force intersection code was so slow that this
wasn't a significant factor.

Caching visitors and intersectors can certainly help, although one
does need to be careful about threading issues with doing this, as the
IntersectionVisitor and Intersectors aren't thread safe, so you'd need
a cached instance per thread.

Optimization could possibly be done with the data structure used to
store the intersection results, this would unfortunately break the API
compatibility.  Changing that Intersector's are cloned might also help
performance when dealing with scene graphs have transform - the clone
is required to move the intersector into the local coordinate system
of transforms subgraph.

There other things one can do like grouping intersectors, or using
intersection coherency.