[osg-users] KdTree support now checked in

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Fri Jul 11 17:09:42 PDT 2008

Hi Robert,

> To wrap, all these changes on now in SVN trunk and will be part of
> 2.5.4 and hence the up coming 2.6.  If you enable the build of
> automatic KdTrees of load and use
> IntersectionVisitor/LineSegmentIntersector then you'll be able to go
> straight ahead of use KdTree intersections without lifting a further
> finger ;-)

This is all very cool! I'll definitely be testing this out in the next
few days to try it out with my Masters project (which was very
intersection-heavy). I'll be setting up a little competition between
your KdTree and Adrian Egli's... Just kidding!

I think I may be able to help a bit regarding the higher-level setup and
bookkeeping changes needed to speed things up on that regard. One thing
I noticed before is that creating a new Intersector and
IntersectionVisitor each time is costly, and instead keeping static or
cached instances and using the reset() and setStart()/setEnd() methods
is faster. There may be some other similar things that can be done too,
we'll see what I can dig up.

Thanks a lot for this work, it's a great addition, and I expect that it
will be useful in lots of different applications.

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
                                http://www.cm-labs.com/
                         http://whitestar02.webhop.org/