[osg-users] Cygwin compiled version from Svn will only load and convert osg files and not gif files - any thoughts?

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Fri Jul 11 16:53:30 PDT 2008

Hi Brian,

> If I display an osg file (without the --image since it doesn't
> like that for an osg file) then I get the following output from gdb.

I still wonder why you would want --image for an osg file? You say "it
doesn't like that for an osg file", but it's actually nonsensical. An
osg file is not an image... It's a saved scene graph (3D model or whatever).

You need --image when you want osgviewer to load an image file (.gif,
.jpg, .png, etc.) with osgDB::readImageFile() and map it onto a quad.
When you don't use --image, OSG will just load the given file(s) (.osg,
.3ds, .wrl, .dae, etc.) with osgDB::readNodeFiles() and add it as child
to a group node and display that (if the load succeeds).

As for the crash, as I said I don't use cygwin and have no debugging
experience there, and little debugging experience on Linux (with gdb)
for that matter. So I can't really help. Others with more gdb experience
might be able to suggest some further steps to take.

Good luck,

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
                                http://www.cm-labs.com/