[osg-users] Cygwin compiled version from Svn will only load and convert osg files and not gif files - any thoughts?

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Thu Jul 10 20:29:13 PDT 2008

Hello Brian,

> It may be a
> far jump but my thoughts are this leads us down the path that it there is
> possibly something either in the osg plugin or more likely - the 3d
> functionality and the extra logic and threads needed to accomplish the 3d
> display.

You seem to think that osgviewer with or without --image does radically
different things... It doesn't. It's the same viewer, the same setup. It
will detect and use the same thread config, etc. When you do

osgviewer --image bob.jpg

it creates a quad (in 3D space) and maps your image onto it as a
texture. So it's still displaying a model in 3D. Yes, it may be the .osg
loader, but it may be something totally unrelated. You just haven't
presented enough information to be able to make that call at this point.

I think you just need to start with basics. Compile OSG and osgviewer in
debug mode, start it in gdb and recreate your crash on exit. That will
give you a stack trace. From that you can try to debug further or post
the trace here to see if we can spot something. (note that getting a
stack trace is the first step to debug any crash)

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
                                http://www.cm-labs.com/
                         http://whitestar02.webhop.org/