[osg-users] VPB generating terrain for multiple data files

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Thu Jul 10 07:43:30 PDT 2008

Hi Robert,

> Ideally should have data throughout your model to define all the
> heights you require, if you have holes then all you can come if with
> is an acceptable fudge for what this missing data might be.

I know, I know... :-) I work with what our client provided, so I have to
fill in the gaps myself.

> Perhaps
> the easist way to provide this fudge would be to create a single dummy
> DEM that covers the entire region and matches the elevations of the
> tiles you have.  The actual data would then act is a high res inserts
> to this base level DEM.

Yes, that was the second option I mentioned.

Any hints as to how to do that? I have the FWTools distribution, which
includes all gdal binaries, but if there's another tool that I could
use, please point me in the right direction.

Ideally, I would like the base terrain to conform to the inserts at the
edges of said inserts, instead of having "steps" around the inserts...
So the tool used would probably need to interpolate between the tiles.

I tried using gdal_merge.py, currently waiting for the terrain to
generate from the result of that (I can't use --TERRAIN, so it takes a
while)... But it doesn't interpolate, it just puts either NODATA or a
value you specify.

Anyways, thanks for confirming my intuition.

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
                                http://www.cm-labs.com/
                         http://whitestar02.webhop.org/