[osg-users] ssh and osgdem

J.P. Delport jpdelport at csir.co.za
Thu Jul 10 06:50:20 PDT 2008

Ahh,

the light went on.

I was not logged into gdm on the slaves. Once logged in, the :0.0
$DISPLAY variable started making sense.

I never knew the $DISPLAY was so powerful. I always took X11 forwarding
with ssh for granted.

For those who know this, excuse the excitement :)
For those on Linux, try this:

Log into your desktop, open a terminal in X and type "echo $DISPLAY".
Note the value.

Switch to a virtual terminal (text) e.g. use Ctrl-Alt-F1. Log in there
as well and type

export DISPLAY="the value noted earlier"

then run:
xeyes

The eyes would be on the local X server. (Ctrl-Alt-F7/F5)

magic :)

cheers
jp