[osg-users] osg file format BUG

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 02:38:40 PDT 2008

Hi Dimi,

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 8:16 AM, dimi christop <dimi_christop at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification, and as I mentioned the  StateAttributes OVERRIDE/PROTECTED
> works for .ive formats. Knowing that .osg has these kinds of limitations, might save you a few frustrating moments.
> Where could this missing feature be noted/documented on the webpage?

I don't think the wiki has a page for file format issues, there is a
bug resolution page on the wiki section.  I'm just another
contributors when it comes to the wiki I'm afraid so don't have a full
and clear mapping of it in my head.

> Are you aware of any other properties that the .osg fiel format does not support in contradiction to the .ive format?

Where to start.... we'll .ive and .osg are quite different beasts, the
.ive plugin is self contained and non extensible, the .osg is an
extensible ascii format is supported across a range of plugin, one per
NodeKit.  In certain areas you can compare them 1 to 1, but for most
of their functionality your can't.

In the long term I want to replace the current .osg/.ive associated
plugins with a single scene graph serialization scheme that can work
in binary or ascii.  This would not be compatible with the exsting
.osg/.ive but would address much of the issue in consistency and
extensibility.