[osg-users] Update Optimization

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 02:42:50 PDT 2008

Hi Joachim,

One can use a HeightField for terrain, and have an O(1) look up into
the height field, this is very fast, so it's a useful tool if it's
appropriate to your problem.  However, it's not a general purpose
solution, and not one that come from free when you create a database -
you'd have to go an populate the height yourself from your source
database, and if you are lucky this might just be a height field in
the first place.

More typical a database is polygonal based, using LOD's or PagedLOD,
with lots of polygonal culutral data in it.  The data might even be
whole earth database, so not even flat.  For this wide range of data
the best we can do is make the standard intersection routines that
work on polygonal dataset work faster, as this is just what I'm
working on.  It won't get as fast as using a HeightField, but it'll
close the gap substantially.

Robert.