[osg-users] Update Optimization

Joachim E. Vollrath vollrath at vis.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon Jul 7 02:27:42 PDT 2008

Hello to all in this thread,

I have absolutely no terrain expertize and I don't know how OSG
implements this, but just out of curiosity:

Suppose you have terrain elevation stored in an image (in CPU memory) as
well as normals.

Given the 2d coordinate of an entity in elevation image space - wouldn't
calculating the height and normal (resp. orientation) merely reduce to a
bilinearly interpolated lookup in that image?

I may be wrong, but shouldn't it be possible to get interactive update
rates that way?

Best,
Joachim