[osg-users] Issue with Model Display in OSG with VR Juggler

Paul Martz pmartz at skew-matrix.com
Thu Jul 3 12:10:16 PDT 2008

> > Have you tried "normalizing" your normals after scaling?
> By that I meant enabling GL_NORMALIZE.

Hi Gerrick --

To clarify, at the top level node of you model, get its StateSet and do
this:
  setMode( GL_NORMALIZE, osg::StateAttribute::ON );

Alternately, if the scaling is uniform in all axes, you could rescale the
normals instead, which might be more efficient for vertex-limited rendering:
  setMode( GL_RESCALE_NORMAL, osg::StateAttribute::ON );

The difference is that the former is almost universally implemented in
OpenGL with a per-vertex sqrt, whereas the latter is typically implemented
in OpenGL with a per-vertex scale (multiply) and is therefore less
expensive.

Paul Martz
Skew Matrix Software LLC
http://www.skew-matrix.com