[osg-users] osgViewer 's' key Geometry information

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 08:08:55 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Jean-Sébastien Guay
<jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com> wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
>> It would be handy.  Can we not have this toy anymore ?  ;D
>
> It was in OSG 1.2 / osgProducer. The new StatsHandler in osgViewer does not
> support that 3rd display mode (drawable and geometry info).

Yes this feature has been pending since 2.0... Paul wrote the Quick
Start Guide on the assumption that we'd get this feature back in 2.x
in quick time, but alas been sweeeept away with work so haven't got to
it yet, even one year on.

> There was a submission a while back that added that and much more (I
> remember seeing graphs and other nice things), but it was a bit heavy and
> didn't get integrated. Perhaps if someone has some time, that submission
> could be found, cleaned up and simplified, and then resubmitted.

Yes this submission did add polygon stats and other useful stats
output, but alas it required lots of intrusive changes to the core OSG
that weren't appropriate for the level and type of functionality
provided.  It should be possible to add this type of functionality
much less intrusively - i.e. at the viewer level only, but as with
many would be nice to have features that I could implement given the
time.... it'll have to wait, or for someone else to step in a code it.