[osg-users] ViewerQT destruction

Virginia Holmstrom v.holmstrom at ama-inc.com
Thu Jul 3 06:28:22 PDT 2008

Robert-

I am afraid I cannot help with Qt 4. Much to our dismay we haven't been allowed to use it due to bureaucratic issues.

I did hope to use CompositeViewer originally. But I was unable to get CompositeViewer to work across multiple QT windows:

http://lists.openscenegraph.org/pipermail/osg-users-openscenegraph.org/2007-December/005676.html

The osgViewerQt example pops all the views up in one Qt window. Our users need to be able to open and close the views independently.

Also, I can not use QOSGWidget because on WindowsXP, OSG2.2 or OSG 2.4, Qt 3.3.3 we get the following error:

Using QOSGWidget - QWidget + osgViewer creating the graphics context.
Windows Error #2000: [Screen #0] GraphicsWindowWin32::setWindow() - Unable to create OpenGL rendering context. Reason: The pixel format is invalid.

So that is why I am using multiple Viewers, which worked well for us until we tried to destruct them.

Thank you so much,
Virginia

Hi Virgina,

I have compiled you on my system, compiling against QT4, and get the error:

/home/robert/OpenSceneGraph/examples/osgviewerQT/AdapterWidget.cpp:153:
error: 'WDestructiveClose' is not a member of 'Qt'
make[2]: *** [examples/osgviewerQT/CMakeFiles/example_osgviewerQT.dir/AdapterWidget.o]
Error 1
make[1]: *** [examples/osgviewerQT/CMakeFiles/example_osgviewerQT.dir/all]
Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

I'm not very familiar with Qt so don't know the best way to map this across to QT4.  Suggesstions?

As a general note, when you have multiple views of a single scene graph, the right tool to use is osgViewer::ComposteiViewer rather than Viewer as otherwise you end up with duplicated update traversals and out of sync frame stamps.  Having things work event driven does complicate things though, as CompositeViewer is designed around a having single frame call that updates all windows at one time.
Supporting the event driven model with CompositeViewer/Viewer better will something that we'll need to work on - this doesn't change the crash issue, but it's something to bare in mind for the future.

Robert.