[osg-users] VPB and how it generates terrain

Tueller, Shayne R Civ USAF AFMC 519 SMXS/MXDEC Shayne.Tueller at HILL.af.mil
Wed Jul 2 15:13:43 PDT 2008

There's an article entitled "On-the-sphere block-based 3D terrain rendering
using a wavelet-encoded terrain database for SVS" by Greg Baxes and Tim
Linger of TerraMetrics Inc. The article gives a high level view of their
algorithm which I believe is the one or similar to the one used in Earth
viewers like Google Earth and NASA World Wind for terrain rendering on a
sphere...

-Shayne

-----Original Message-----
From: osg-users-bounces at lists.openscenegraph.org
[mailto:osg-users-bounces at lists.openscenegraph.org] On Behalf Of
Jean-Sébastien Guay
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 8:12 AM
To: OpenSceneGraph Users
Subject: [osg-users] VPB and how it generates terrain

Hello Robert,

We currently have a student doing a masters project at our company, and
his job will be to improve the terrain algorithms in the Vortex toolkit
(both for physical simulation and graphical representation). One aspect
is generating terrain from a height field, which is what VPB does.
Unfortunately, since we need to support dynamic terrain/height fields,
and since we also need to do collision detection against it, we cannot
use VPB directly and will have to re-do much of the work that is already
in VPB.

I was wondering if you had any pointers to what strategies are used to
generate the terrain. Any articles/papers? Both the actual geometry
generation and the LOD strategies are of interest. The code is available
for study but we're really looking for some high-level overviews of how
it does its work and why those given tradeoffs were chosen.

Any information you provide would be helpful. Thanks in advance,

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
                                http://www.cm-labs.com/
                         http://whitestar02.webhop.org/