[osg-users] VPB and how it generates terrain

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 08:06:42 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Jean-Sébastien Guay
<jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com> wrote:
> Hehe, I know, I wasn't expecting an explanation, maybe just some links to
> articles you used as inspiration... We don't need to reproduce VPB (if that
> were the case we'd just use it). We just want to have an idea of the general
> direction it's taken.

We'll my influences are far and wide, and not specific to any
particular publications.  In terms of prior art, well there is lots
and very little.  VPB scales to multi-terabyte database generation,
not too much prior art in this area that has been published as far as
I'm aware so this side of things is basically just stuff I came up
with on my own.  While paged databases and the terrain rendering are
two a penny, there isn't any rocket science here on the OSG side -
there is an OSG twist on things but really not anything particularly
new.