[osg-users] Rendering to multiple graphics cards

Bob Balfour bob at BAL4.com
Tue Jul 1 08:59:59 PDT 2008

Joakim Simonsson wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 00:34:09 +0200, Bob Balfour <bob at bal4.com> wrote:
>
>> The scene achieves 60Hz at times, but feels choppy, and I notice the
>> middle two GPUs at times show long orange bars, which are killing the
>> 60Hz rate.
>
> This is probably obvious for you, but the "fancy" aero rendering is
> turned off, right?

I set the theme to "windows classic", which I assumed would do away with
the aero stuff (with no discernible difference), but is there something
else to specifically turn off?

>> or 2 double-wide screens (screen 0 & 2, each set to 2880x900). Note
>> that in the Vista display settings all 4 screens are set up as 1 big
>> "extended desktop".
>
> How do you configure "extended desktop" in Vista? I mean, microsoft
> (or nvidia) has removed the horizontal/vertical span possibility. But
> if I understand you correctly, there is a possibility to "fool" vista,
> so it believes your multiple monitors is only one monitor with a very
> large resolution?
rt.click desktop->Personalize->Display Settings (Monitor tab) shows 4
monitors that you can select, then check the "Extend the desktop onto
this monitor" box.

I can also seem to stop the dwm.exe from executing (Vista desktop window
manager) by checking "disable desktop composition" (rt.click on the
.exe->properties(compatibility tab)).  With the dwm off I can only get
to 47Hz max, but pretty steady.  With dwm.exe on (taking about 20% of
the CPU) I can get to 60Hz, but not consistently, and my rendered cube
rotates with a discernible choppiness.  Is Microsoft punishing me for
disabling dwm?

Bob.