[osg-users] Is there a way to use a lump of user created memory with Vec3Arrays or other osg Vec Arrays

Gordon Tomlinson gordon.tomlinson at sensor.com
Thu Jul 31 12:41:33 PDT 2008

Ok I know I'm reaching and hoping here ;)

typically with say Vec3Array you populate along the lines of

osg::ref_ptr<osg::Vec3Array> verts  = new osg::Vec3Array;
verts->push_back(1, 1, 1 ));
etc

Now I have a situation / need were we have and are still developing a system
to manage generic data in the billions of instances range, including
handling billions of vertex type data and this system manages all the

So what I would really like to do is use the data directly from our system
for the vertex array data something like :

osg::ref_ptr<osg::Vec3Array> object_verts  = new osg::Vec3Array;

object_verts ->setData( my_clever_merge_list_of_verts  )

objectNode->setVertexArray ( object_verts.get()  );

Or something

I think I know the answer :(

We wanting to avoid the the duplication of the data are already managing
and then having to copy to the array  to visualise it

Best Regards

Gordon

Gordon Tomlinson
Product Manager (3d)

Email  : gordon.tomlinson @ overwatch.com

"Self defence is not a function of learning tricks
but is a function of how quickly and intensely one
can arouse one's instinct for survival"
- Master Tambo Tetsura