[osg-users] I want to read one pixel from a texture in video memory, back to system memory.

Viggo Løvli vigigio at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 30 23:48:19 PDT 2008

Hi,

I am trying to write an intersect post-processing function that will read the alpha value of the hit-location.
I have so far managed to get the texture coordinates for each collision point.
I have also managed to find which texture (in unit 0) that is used by the object that I collide with.

I have a pointer to the texture:
    osg::Texture2D* texture;

The scene I am intersecting is read from a pre-created file and all osgImage data is automatically deleted. So, I can not always use texture->getImage() and read the pixels from there.

In the cases where getImage returns a NULL pointer:
    osg::Texture::TextureObject* to = texture->getTextureObject( 0 );
    glBindTexture( GL_TEXTURE_2d, to->_id );
    unsigned char data[4];
    glReadPixels( xLocation, yLocation, 1, 1, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, data );
    glBindTexture( GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0 );

This code compiles and it runs. The problem is that it always returns the same values for RGB and A, nomatter what my xLocation and yLocation is.

Can anybody see what I am doing wrong?

Regards,
Viggo