[osg-users] A problem related to the ive file size and loading speed

TANG Fangqin fqtang at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 23:11:33 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I convert some existing 3ds models to ive format through the following two
steps:

1) call osgDB::writeNodeFile func to save the loaded 3ds model into osg
format;
2) run osgconv to convert osg to ive format.

But I find that the size of ive file I finally get is much larger than the
original 3ds file. (3ds: 10 M, ive: 100 M) And it cost me much time to load
ive file (about 15 s) into the program. It is said on internet that reading
ive files is quite fast. So something wrong? Is there any way to improve
(ive size and loading speed)?
Much appreciation to any comment.

With best regards,
Fangqin