[osg-users] Is this a too dirty hack?

Viggo Løvli vigigio at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 23 03:35:22 PDT 2008

Hi,

I am on the quest to figure out when the node-tree is dirty.

I have found a way... But I do not know if this way is a too dirty hack to actually use.

I have a class that inherit osg::Group.
I use this as the root of my scene-graph.

Each time someone add a node to the world, then the dirtyBound function will be called for all parents. This function is not virtual so I can not override it in my specialization of the osg::Group class.
I can however set up a callback that is called when we calculate the bounding sphere.
This callback is only executed if someone call getBound when the bounding-sphere is set to dirty.

So, if the callback to calculate a bounding sphere is called on my root-node then I know that the node tree has been changed.
I can thus check if the node-tree is 'dirty' by calling getBound() on my own class. If that results in a callback then it was dirty.

So the question is: Is this a too dirty hack to use, or is it okish?

Regards,
Viggo