[osg-users] How to apply shadows to a scene with different shaders

Denis Nikolskiy nikolski at arsc.edu
Tue Jul 22 13:24:03 PDT 2008

Hi all,

Thanks to Jean-Sebastien for quick response about custom shaders with
osg ShadowMap.

I’m trying to compute shadows in a scene and apply them to each
object. Most of the objects have different shaders. I have to smuggle
information about shadows into each object’s shader. The only way I
can see how to do this is to compute shadows of the scene into
texture and pass the texture to each shader. I thought that the
easiest way would be to use osg ShadowMap. I tried modifying
ShadowMap’s shaders. It worked but in that case one shader is applied
to the whole scene. Is there a way to get Shadow texture from osg
ShadowMap and pass it to another shader? Am I going in a right
direction? Should I use osg ShadowMap to get shadow texture and pass
it to different shaders or something else?

Thank you for your time,

Denis