[osg-users] OSG with Haptics

Matt Sutton Matt.Sutton at padtinc.com
Sun Jul 13 17:17:40 PDT 2008

Hi Folks,
  I'm brand new to osg, so I wanted to get some feedback from more experienced users regarding a tactic I am considering for a haptic application I am developing.  Haptics are 3d force feedback devices.  One of the challenges with them is that they require update speeds at approximately 1000Hz.  The model that I will be working with is approximately 1,000,000 triangles, so collision detection is challenging at these rates.  The tactic I am considering in a nut shell is to use a second scene graph for haptic culling purposes.  I want to create an artificial viewing frustum near the haptic probe so I can cull away triangles that cannot come into contact with the probe.  I would then use the haptic rendering software with this smaller subset of triangles.  The cull doesn't need to process at 1000Hz, but rather needs to maintain a window around the probe such that the "visible" triangles include all that can potentially contact the probe while the probe is moving and before the next cull frame.  Does this sound reasonable?  If so, what form should I use for my haptic scene graph?  That is, does the cull work best with a series of nodes representing smaller patches of the geometry?  Are there any issues, beyond the extra book-keeping with two separate scene graphs in a single application?  Is there any benefit in maintaining two separate graphs, or would alternate traversals of a master graph be sufficient?  Sorry if these are too elementary.  Please feel free to point me to a piece of documentation if I am missing something.
Thanks for any help.
Matt Sutton
www.padtinc.com