[osg-users] OpenSceneGraph-2.5.4 developer release tagged

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 13:07:44 PDT 2008

Hi All,

I've now tagged the OpenSceneGraph-2.5.4 developer release, you can
grab it from:

  http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/osg/wiki/Downloads/DeveloperReleases

Details:

    * OpenSceneGraph-2.5.4, released on 12th July 2008.
OpenSceneGraph-2.5.4 introduces osg::KdTree, with automatic KdTree
building on file loads, and automatic use of KdTree during
osgUtil::IntersectionVisitor/LineSegmentIntersector traversals for
significantly speeding up intersection tests. Also various bug and
build fixes.

    source package : OpenSceneGraph-2.5.4.zip
    svn tag: svn co
http://www.openscenegraph.org/svn/osg/OpenSceneGraph/tags/OpenSceneGraph-2.5.4
OpenSceneGraph

Full ChangeLog since 2.5.3 below.   Thanks to all the contributors and testers.

On Monday I'll look at integrating osgWidgets, then once the build
looks stable do another quick dev releases, say around Wednesday, then
another dev release on Friday.  The following Monday (21st July) I
plan to make the OpenSceneGraph-2.6 branch, followed up by some quickl
release candidates which we test through the week then tag the final
2.6 stable release on the Thursday or Friday (24th/25th July).

If we miss making 2.6 within this next two week window then I'll have
to tackle it in the week of the 4th to 8th August, as I'm away on
holiday for a week with my family from the 27th July to 3rd August.
This second window is not ideal though as lots of our able bodies will
be preparing for and heading to Siggraph, so if we can we should try
for this next two week window.

Cheers,

ChangeLog since 2.5.3:

	* From Doug McCorkle, "Attached is patch that corrects/improves the
	  following issues with the OBJ loader: 1. Added options to control
	  wether the osgUtil::Tessellator or osgUtil::TriStripVisitor are
	  run. By default they still run just as before. 2. Added support
	  for the Emissive material. The data was being read from the mtl
	  file but was never being applied to the model. 3. This is the
	  main bug addressed, when a model is read in with an alpha value
	  specified like: newmtl Material__8 Ns 24 d 0.33 illum 2 Kd 0.204
	  0.204 0.204 Ks 0 0 0 Ka 0.153 0.153 0.153 where the alpha value
	  is d. The loader would then overwrite the alpha value when
	  reading the diffuse, specular, and ambient colors. I have changed
	  all the material color readers to only set the values they read
	  and to use the default colors specified in the constructor of the
	  obj class. With these changes, the obj reader now handles opacity
	  correctly if the alpha value is specified before the material
	  colo"

	* Cleaned up osgkdtree example

	* Updated version numbers for dev release

	* From Adrain Egli, "i added a default scene with 7 different
	  draggers attached. it's more easy to test the draggers."

	* From Christophe Loustaunau, "For our application, we need to
	  write tiff file in floats. I have change a little bit the
	  readerWritterTiff : It check the data type of the image (
	  img.getDataType() ) and if it's GL_FLOAT :It save the tiff with
	  float values. Otherwise it does the same thing as before."

	* From Liang Aibin, " In lastest svn version of OSG, the .ive
	  plugin missing osg::Light, it does not process I/O for
	  osg::Light. Now I have fixed it as follows: 2. In
	  DataInputStream.cpp, I add support code in
	  DataInputStream::readStateAttribute for osg::Light. 3. In
	  DataOutputStream.cpp, I add support code in
	  DataOutputStream::writeStateAttribute for osg::Light. "

	* From Joakim Simmonson, "Opcodes.h: * Added INVALID_OP as -1 in
	  the Opcodes enum. Note that INVALID_OP is not an actual opcode
	  defined in the OpenFlight format. The purpose of INVALID_OP is to
	  mark an opcode variable as invalid or uninitialized.
	  ReaderWriterFLT.cpp: * The header node is returned if it exists,
	  even if the file does not contain a node hierarchy. The old
	  behaviour returned a ERROR_IN_READING_FILE error. * Changed
	  opcodes initialized to -1 to the new enum value INVALID_OP."

	* From Joakim Simmonsson, fixed various spelling typos in comments

	* From Mathias Froehlich, "Due to the recent data variance
	  changes/discussion: Change the ac3d loader that can as such only
	  deliver static models to set the data variance to static for the
	  returned model. "

	* Increased the buffer and fixed the buffer calculation when moving
	  backwards into objects

	* Updated KdTree code to refect new cleaned up API

	* Tweaked the KdTree intersection performance testing code block

	* Updated wrappers

	* Moved the building and intersecting of the KdTree into the .cpp,
	  and cleaned up the header to ready it for wider usage

	* Streamlined KdTree implementation

	* Updated wrappers

	* Cleaned up KdTree implementation

	* Reordered KdLeaf/KdNode so that the first element to be accessed
	  is first in the data structure

	* Introduced code for doing dummy test traversals - used for
	  benchmarking KdTree code.

	* Added range of camera manipulators and a center of screen test
	  intersection that is insticated by pressing 'c' key

	* Introduce a intersecion performance testing code path, #if def'd
	  out for now.

	* Updated wrappers

	* Fixed set method

	* Added optional control of whether to use KdTrees for
	  intersections

	* Implement hierachy culling in KdTree::intersect(..)

	* Improved the handling of KdTree intersections

	* Implemented intial KdTree triangle intersection code, but without
	  culling implemented

	* Added KdTreeBuilder calls into FindCompileableGLObjectsVisitor,
	  and an alternative path that explictly calls the KdTreeBuilde
	  when required in cases when no pre compile of GL objects is
	  required.

	* Changed types to avoid warnings under Windows

	* Changed the DatabasePager so that it bypasses the
	  Registry::readNode() method and calls readNodeImplementation()
	  directly to avoid calling the KdTreeBuilder. Updated wrappers.

	* Moved KdTree build code into osg::KdTree

	* Added handling of co-incident start and end points.

	* Ported intersection code to use new
	  osgUtil::LineSegmentIntersector/IntersectionVisitor.

	* Converted TerrainManipulator to use osgUtil::InterectionVisitor
	  rather than the old IntersectVisitor

	* Added KdTree intersection support into LineSegmentIntersector

	* Added prelimnary KdTree data structure and automatic kdtree build
	  support into osgDB::Registry/osgTerrain so that newly created
	  subgraphs can have KdTree built on all osg::Geometry
	  automatically on load/creation.

	* Moved vertex indicies method into a single block with deprecated
	  doc lines

	* Introduced bounding boxes to KDLeaf and KDNode structs

	* Added new data structure + build algorithm that places triangles
	  into leaves without being shared, but with varying the boundaries
	  of leaves so that they may overlap.

	* From Mario Valle, "xed the following warning on Linux 64 bits
	  Athlon:
	  /users/mvalle/OSG/OpenSceneGraph/src/osg/BufferObject.cpp: In
	  member function `virtual void
	  osg::ElementBufferObject::compileBuffer(osg::State&) const':
	  /users/mvalle/OSG/OpenSceneGraph/src/osg/BufferObject.cpp:600:
	  warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size"

	* From Mario Valle, removed extraneous spaces

	* Added header guards

	* Refactored example so that the example will be able to run
	  different kdtree data strucutres/algorithms.

	* From Eric Sokolowsky, "The check for Leopard to build 4-way
	  binaries by default was broken. Here is an updated CMakeLists.txt
	  file to fix the problem."

	* Implement an experiemental triangle kdtree building support

	* Set the DataVariance on FadeText to DYNAMIC to reflect their
	  nature

	* Updated wrappers

	* Introduced support for UNSCPECIFIED and STATIC DataVariance of
	  StateSet/Textures

	* From Colin McDonald, "There is a problem reading bmp files
	  containing a colour palette, due to an incorrect scan line length
	  calculation. Attached is a fix, and a little bmp file which
	  demonstrates the problem."

	* From Lilin Xiong, "I change ive plugin a little for osgText
	  inout, so the ive plugin supports backdrop setting, and Text3D,
	  FadeText inout : 1. in DataInputStream.cpp, add 1286--1293 lines;
	  2. in Text.cpp, add some code for text's Backdrop setting; 3. in
	  IveVersion.h, add line 39, increase the VERSION to
	  VERSION_028(line 41) 4. in ReadWrite.h, add line 146,147 5. add
	  file FadeText.h, FadeText.cpp, Text3D.h, Text3D.cpp."

	* Added Vec3Array arrange pointer to avoid dynamic cast

	* From Mathias Froehlich, "It appears not to be sufficient to set a
	  cmake variable to get a define in such a config file. Instead set
	  that variable to 1. Also included a small compile fix, that
	  appears to be required than ..."

	* Added guards against FBO not being supported/setup