[osg-users] Weird driver problems?

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Thu Jul 10 11:56:24 PDT 2008

Hello,

We've started seeing something weird on some of our machines, and I'd
just like to know if someone else has seen this. These issues started
happening today.

Setup: Windows XP, GeForce 7800 GTX and 8800 GT, OSG 2.2 and 2.4, two
screens in Dual View mode.

Issues:
1. Starting osgviewer with any model gives weird geometry problems
(large polygons sticking out, see screenshot)
2. Our own apps (still using OSG 2.2) crash on start, when drawing the
first frame, and it appears that it crashes in the graphics driver
(nvoglnt.dll).

The weird thing: switching from Dual View mode to Horizontal Span mode
"fixes" both these issues.

Our current theory is that some automatic windows update that got
installed a day or two ago changed something that caused a new bug
related to the graphics driver. Perhaps a threading mode change, or
whatever. The people who have disabled automatic updates don't have the
problem, so there seems to be a correlation. If that's right, the next
NVidia driver version might magically fix it (by working around the new
bug).

Has anyone else seen this?

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com