[osg-users] When optimizing with LOD changes, should I change UV map resolutions?

rpingry at gmail.com rpingry at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 06:08:52 PDT 2008

Hello All,

I have been trying to get my scenes to run faster, balancing my scene graphs
using LOD.  I use quite a bit of UV mapping in my models, and they can be
fairly high res because I want them to look good up close.  There are
usually several instances of the same model in the scene, all pointing to
the same scene graph.  I was wondering about the best way to create LOD
changes for them.  I was going to cut out some polygons, but I was also
thinking of cutting the resolution back on the UV maps.  Is this valuable?
On first assessment, it seems it would be, but then I realize that it might
cause MORE of a memory usage, and the graphics card (or OSG) might be doing
this kind of optimization anyway (dropping image map resolutions based on
pixel size or whatever).  What are your recommendations?

-- Thanks for everything
Check us out at http://fringe-online.com/