[osg-users] Cygwin compiled version from Svn will only load and convert osg files and not gif files - any thoughts?

Brian Keener brianklistacct at alltel.net
Tue Jul 8 15:32:28 PDT 2008

Hello all,

While trying to debug the hangs in Cygwin I've run up on an something I
don't understand about OSG and not sure if it is a compile issue or an
operator issue.

If I use osgconv or osgviewer in this manner:

osgconv cow.osg brian.osg
or
osgconv cow.osg brian.ive
or
osgviewer cow.osg

then all works except for the hang at the end which I am trying to
debug but if I try to use a gif file as in:

osgconv logo-left.gif brian.gif
or
osgconv logo-left.gif brian.bmp
or
osgviewer logo-left.gif

I get the message that now data was loaded but I with the NOTIFY:INFO
setting I can see the the gif plugin is being opened and it gets closed
at the end:

osg::Registry::addReaderWriter(GIF Image Reader)
Opened DynamicLibrary osgPlugins-2.5.3/cygwin_osgdb_gifd.dll
Error no data loaded.

Any thoughts why no data is loaded - other programs on the system
(Windows XP but running osg in Cygwin) seem to recognize it as a gif.

BK