[osg-users] Current state of osgTDS

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Mon Jul 7 08:05:16 PDT 2008

Hello all,

I'm directing these questions mainly at Paul Martz, but I'd be
interested in hearing from anyone else who has relevant experience.

I've learned that I need to do terrain deformation to match new data in
our current project, and it seems to fit exactly what osgTDS does. To be
more precise, some structures will be lowered to the bottom of the
ocean, and their final resting place might not match where the "ocean
floor" was when the terrain data was taken (because of soil/rock
movement, human activities, or low terrain data accuracy).

I have to evaluate some factors (time it would take to integrate, work
needed to make it do what we want) before actually diving in, so I
thought I'd ask here.

Regarding building osgTDS: I saw a few posts from 2007 in the archives
regarding osgTDS, but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to
whether it will build for OSG 2.x and on.

Regarding using it run-time: I understand osgTDS does its processing at
load time. Would it be hard to modify it so that when we decide that an
object is resting, it does the processing locally for that object and
updates the terrain immediately? What kind of time does that processing
take? (say for example on a 100,000 polygon terrain, just for the sake
of discussion)

Thanks in advance,

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com