[osg-users] VPB and how it generates terrain

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Wed Jul 2 07:12:28 PDT 2008

Hello Robert,

We currently have a student doing a masters project at our company, and
his job will be to improve the terrain algorithms in the Vortex toolkit
(both for physical simulation and graphical representation). One aspect
is generating terrain from a height field, which is what VPB does.
Unfortunately, since we need to support dynamic terrain/height fields,
and since we also need to do collision detection against it, we cannot
use VPB directly and will have to re-do much of the work that is already
in VPB.

I was wondering if you had any pointers to what strategies are used to
generate the terrain. Any articles/papers? Both the actual geometry
generation and the LOD strategies are of interest. The code is available
for study but we're really looking for some high-level overviews of how
it does its work and why those given tradeoffs were chosen.

Any information you provide would be helpful. Thanks in advance,

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
                                http://www.cm-labs.com/
                         http://whitestar02.webhop.org/