[osg-users] ViewerQT destruction

Colin Dunlop colin at mve.com
Thu Jul 3 03:53:21 PDT 2008

Hi Robert,

you will need an #ifdef Qt4 thingy to replace:

Qt::WDestructiveClose with Qt::WA_DeleteOnClose

See http://doc.trolltech.com/4.0/qt.html
or  http://doc.trolltech.com/4.0/qt.html#WidgetAttribute-enum

You could also replace the "USE_QT4" definitions with eg:
#if QT_VERSION >= QT_VERSION_CHECK(4,0,0)
#else
#endif
which will mean you could just point CMake at "a" Qt version
and avoid an extra compiler definition which is not needed.
This would also allow future checks for 4.4.0 and above which
introduce another 101 goodies that have been introduced since
4.3.x. The QT_VERSION and QT_VERSION_CHECK come with Qt.

Anyway I guess an OSG submission would be more useful to you
rather than more work for your plate ;)

Cheers,

Colin.

Robert Osfield wrote:
> [...]
>> 2. Mine pops up cascaded, cow in each window
>> 3. Close a window (middle window works well for me)
>> 4. Check remaining windows, cow will likely have disappeard from one of them
>> 5. If this didn't work, try closing the other windows, or running again and closing the windows in a different order.
>>
>> Thank you so much,
>> Virginia
>>

>> Hi Virginia,
>>
>> There is not much I can do without seeing the problem first hand.  Is it possible to recreate it by modifying the existing osgviewerQT example?  If so, could do this to effectively create a unit test for this particular usage case.
>>
>> Another possible route with solving this type of usage case might be to explicitly pass in the parent window when creating the graphics context, but leave it to the OSG itself to create the windows rather that QT.  I haven't personally tried this, but it should be possible, even if it requires a few tweaks to the OSG itself to enable it.
>>
>> Robert.
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Virginia Holmstrom <v.holmstrom at ama-inc.com> wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I have been having problems with the destruction of my ViewerQT window and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the issue. I am seeing corruption in one view when another view is deleted (screen shot attached). We are using OSG 2.4 and Qt 3.3.3 on WindowsXP and Linux. Problems are reproducible on both platforms.
>>>
>>> We are required to permit muliple views into the same scene, each in
>>> its own window with its own navigation. The user may open one or more views, close views at anytime, and open new ones. We have a set up similar to the osgViewerQT example shipped with osg, where our ViewerQT inherits from both osgViewer::Viewer and the AdapterWidget. We actually flipped the inheritance order from the example, so that ours looks like this: ViewerQT : public AdapterWidget, public osgViewer::Viewer due to compilation problems with the Qt moc'ing the other way around.
>>>
>>> Note we are using QGLWidget, not QOSGWidget, and we use multiple ViewerQts instead of CompositeViewer due to problems discussed in thread http://lists.openscenegraph.org/pipermail/osg-users-openscenegraph.org/2007-December/005676.html. Hence our use of multiple ViewerQts is also similar to Enrique Parodi's implementation he provided in that thread.
>>>
>>> We store a ref_ptr to the root node of our scene external to the ViewerQts.
>>> osg::ref_ptr < osg::Group > _osgScene; This ref_ptr persists as views
>>> are opened and closed and is only released when the application closes. Each time a ViewerQT is created we pass it the scene using setSceneData. All ViewerQts get the same root scene node.
>>>
>>> We started having a problem when we set the Qt::WDestructiveClose flag in our AdapterWidget, which triggers the following destructors to be called in this order on close:

>>> osgViewer::Viewer
>>> osgViewer::View
>>> osg::View