[osg-users] OSG thread profiling results are in!!

rpingry at gmail.com rpingry at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 12:11:15 PDT 2008

Hi Robert,

I got the stats handler working on our scene and displaying.  I am not sure
I understand what the different numbers mean and how I might work with
them.  I can see the optimization effort is a big deal.  I know it is beyond
the scope of this group.  Are there any resources out there to look at?

I have finished the work you had already mentioned, like using png rather
than bmp everywhere.  We are also working on making sure our images are as
small as possible.  We are also going to work on using LOD.  Since we are in
space and most ships are far away, we are sure we can make a big jump
there.  I used osgUtil::Optimizer and that game me a few more frames.

What are some other suggestions?

We are using some particle effects pretty heavily, and we noticed (using
filemon) that the smoke image file is being read over and over again, many
times (perhaps once per frame).  Is this possible?  We are going to look
into that next.  Maybe we can cache the single image (state set)?

Thanks
-- Rick

Check us out at http://fringe-online.com/