[osg-users] South pole wtih VirtualPlanetBuilder

Christoph Ehrler ehrler-soft at gmx.de
Fri Sep 7 06:59:35 PDT 2007

Hi Christophe,

as Robert told this is normal because the BlueMarble texture you put
on the sphere is a cylindrical projection of the earths surface. Since
a cylinder has a curvature in only one direction but the sphere has
two there are distortions increasing with the distance to the equator
(only the equator is preserved in it's length by [normal] cylindrical
projection)

And because of this we need different projections for the poles
(azimuthal) and the rest of the world (cylindrical) you will find in
every atlas (geographic map collection)

Look at GoogleEarth, it's the same problem.