[osg-users] Ortho Clipping

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 10:29:17 PDT 2007

Hi Shane,

Othographic views and zooming don't mix, one should never allow a user
to zoom into scene in orthographic view.

You can try and hack an orthographic view to kinda of behave like a
perspective view but as soon as you enter the scene itself you end up
with all manner of problems with near plan clipping where you don't
expect it, or objects from behind you appear when they really
shouldn't it.

In the end you have to come to realise that expecting an orthographic
view to be useful for interactive 3d views is very very limited to
only views - its a fundamental aspect of orthographic view that is
incompatible to free form user interactive.  Orthographic !=
Perspective no matter how much you try and twist and contort it.

Robert.