[osg-users] Suitable for Pointcloud/LIDAR data

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 09:04:57 PDT 2007

Hi Martin,

The OSG can certainly be used for point data, 100M points will
starting hitting memory size and bandwidth issues down on the graphics
card.  The OSG does support paging and VBO's which can certainly help,
the scene graphs will still have to be very carefully management to
get good throughout - you will still have to understand how the
graphics cards/OpenGL works to make the best use of it - there isn't
anything magical the OSG can do, it can just help.

Robert.