[osg-users] more on Windows debugging

Wojciech Lewandowski lewandowski at ai.com.pl
Wed Sep 26 08:43:14 PDT 2007

Below is my OSG configuration. Apparently it works well with Visual Studio
2005 Express intellibase as I am able to step down into OSG sources from my
OSG based projects. This may be no solution for you but I hope it may be
helpful somehow if you will be able to find differences and maybe finally
isolate the cause of the problems.

1. I keep all my projects in C:\DEV directory. All OSG svn related projects
are kept in C:\DEV\OSG_SVN\ directory. And OpenSceneGraph distribution is
located in C:\DEV\OSG_SVN\OpenSceneGraph.

2. After OpenScenGraph SVN update I run CMake and change OSG INSTALL
directory variable to '.' (dot - current directory). It has the effect that
install will make bin and lib subdirectories in OpenSceneGraph root
directory. Ie:  C:\DEV\OSG_SVN\OpenSceneGraph\bin and
C:\DEV\OSG_SVN\OpenSceneGraph\lib.

DLLs and EXEs land in:
 C:\DEV\OSG_SVN\OpenSceneGraph\bin

Libraries land in:
C:\DEV\OSG_SVN\OpenSceneGraph\lib

Headers remain in (Cmake is clever and does not copy them over themselves):
C:\DEV\OSG_SVN\OpenSceneGraph\include

3. My system PATH variable inludes C:\DEV\OSG_SVN\OpenSceneGraph\bin
directory

4. With VisualStudio I load Cmake generated sln and run BUILD ALL and then
BUILD INSTALL to copy binaries to above directories. I do it twice - once
for Release and once for Debug build.

5. At this point I am able to build, run, debug my projects and step into
OSG sources (.cpp).

6. I don't know if this is relevant, but obviously to compile and link my
projects I had set include and library paths in VisualStudio 2005.   Menu
Tools/Options/Projects and Solutions/VC++ Directories:

Path for Include files is set to:
C:\DEV\OSG_SVN\\OpenSceneGraph\include

Path for Library files is set to:
C:\DEV\OSG_SVN\\OpenSceneGraph\lib

Path for Sources files has all subdirs of OpenSceneGraph\src listed in
separate lines:
C:\DEV\OSG_SVN\OpenSceneGraph\src\OpenThreads
C:\DEV\OSG_SVN\OpenSceneGraph\src\osg
C:\DEV\OSG_SVN\OpenSceneGraph\src\osgUtil
and so on.
I don't think that source paths are really that important. For some testing
I removed one of  source path lines and Visual Studio was still able to find
sources and step into them. But it may be neccessary during OSG build (when
intellibase is generated) so I propose to set them as well. It won't make
things worse.

Hope this helps,
Wojtek