[osg-users] Large dynamic high-res terrain overlays?

J.P. Delport jpdelport at csir.co.za
Tue Sep 18 05:11:27 PDT 2007


Hi,

no, I have not looked at the new modes. The app was ported from OSG pre 
1.0, so it just uses the default in the newest OSG.

Is there an overview of the new modes or should I use the source?

Thanks for the pointer.

jp

Robert Osfield wrote:
> Are you using perspective view dependent mode of OverlayNode?
> 
> On 9/18/07, J.P. Delport <jpdelport at csir.co.za> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the source high-res imagery of the terrain is about 4degx4deg and blue
>> marble data for the rest of the globe. The things they want to overlay
>> are simple lines and filled polygons (so render to texture/textures
>> should be OK), but can now extend over say 500kmx500km. So when I use an
>> overlaynode and they zoom in quite close to the terrain, e.g. the lines
>> in my original generated texture become massively wide.
>>
>> jp
>>
>> Robert Osfield wrote:
>>> Hi J.P.
>>>
>>> How big is the source imagery you users are wanting to use?  If its
>>> large be prepared to roll your sleeves up and start implementating
>>> some advanced texture paging techniques.
>>>
>>> Robert.
>>>
>>> On 9/18/07, J.P. Delport <jpdelport at csir.co.za> wrote:
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> I am successfully using 2xoverlaynodes for overlays onto a large terrain
>>>> database. The overlays are dynamic (i.e. can change per frame). The
>>>> texture coord generation of overlaynode/texgennode are essential, as it
>>>> makes the overlay follow the terrain.
>>>>
>>>> The users of the app are creating larger and larger overlays and the
>>>> resolution of the overlay texture is becoming a problem.
>>>>
>>>> Is there a technique that someone can advise me on/point me to that can
>>>> be used to create either massive overlays or multitudes (>> texture
>>>> units) of smaller ones using OSG?
>>>>
>>>> thanks
>>>> jp
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions, e-mail legal notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF) standard.
>>>> The full disclaimer details can be found at http://www.csir.co.za/disclaimer.html.
>>>>
>>>> This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner,
>>>> and is believed to be clean.  MailScanner thanks Transtec Computers for their support.
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> osg-users mailing list
>>>> osg-users at lists.openscenegraph.org
>>>> http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org
>>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> osg-users mailing list
>>> osg-users at lists.openscenegraph.org
>>> http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org
>>>
>> --
>> This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions, e-mail legal notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF) standard.
>> The full disclaimer details can be found at http://www.csir.co.za/disclaimer.html.
>>
>> This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner,
>> and is believed to be clean.  MailScanner thanks Transtec Computers for their support.
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> osg-users mailing list
>> osg-users at lists.openscenegraph.org
>> http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org
>>
> _______________________________________________
> osg-users mailing list
> osg-users at lists.openscenegraph.org
> http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org
> 

-- 
This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions, e-mail legal notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF) standard. 
The full disclaimer details can be found at http://www.csir.co.za/disclaimer.html.

This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner, 
and is believed to be clean.  MailScanner thanks Transtec Computers for their support.




More information about the osg-users mailing list